Dr. Dan Alcorn, PT, DPT is a physical therapist with MovementX in Northern Virginia.
Got Chronic Pain? S.N.A.P. It!
As a parent, one of the worst feelings in the world is to see my daughter in pain. While I fight a losing battle to protect Amelie from all the world’s perils (uneven sidewalks be damned), I have found boo boos to be my nemesis!
Fortunately, Amelie is my best teacher, and informs me – “Daniel! It’s okay. Boo Boos heal.”
Yes, my daughter calls me Daniel, and it makes me smile every time.
Amelie provides sage advice, but what happens in the case of chronic pain and why is it becoming such a significant problem in our society?
If you need any help navigating the world of chronic pain, come work with me!
2. Vlaeyen, J. W. S. and S. J. Linton (2000). “Fear-avoidance and its consequences in chronic musculoskeletal pain: a state of the art.” Pain 85: 317-322.
3. Moseley, L. (2002). “Combined physiotherapy and education is efficacious for chronic low back pain.” Aust J Physiother 48(4):297-302
4. Sloan, T. J. and D. A. Walsh (2010). “Explanatory and diagnostic labels and perceived prognosis in chronic low back pain.” Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 35(21): E1120-1125.
5. Kjaer, P., C. Leboeuf-Yde, et al. (2005). “Magnetic resonance imaging and low back pain in adults: a diagnostic imaging study of 40-year-old men and women.” Spine 30(10): 1173- 1180
6. Milgrom, C., M. Schaffler, et al. (1995).“Rotator-cuff changes in asymptomatic adults. The effect of age, hand dominance and gender.” The Journal of bone and joint surgery. British volume 77(2):296-298
7. Reilly, P., I. Macleod, et al. (2006). “Dead men and radiologists don’t lie: a review of cadaveric and radiological studies of rotator cuff tear prevalence.” Annals of the Royal College of Surgeons of England 88(2): 116-121
About the Author
Dr. Dan Alcorn is a physical therapist with MovementX in Northern Virginia. He is a Board-Certified Specialist in Orthopedic Physical Therapy and is also fellowship-trained in the care for upper extremity athletes. Dan Alcorn treats patients at Patriot CrossFit in Arlington, VA, and has a strong passion for improving people’s confidence through healthier movement, lifestyle choices, and longevity.
Strictly Necessary Cookies
Strictly Necessary Cookie should be enabled at all times so that we can save your preferences for cookie settings.
If you disable this cookie, we will not be able to save your preferences. This means that every time you visit this website you will need to enable or disable cookies again.